Six years without you, Dad!!




Six years ago today, my dad died. The memory of that day is still so vivid. It started with a phone call bearing news that he wasn’t doing well. I remember the worry gnawing at me, but there was still hope. Then came the final call. And there I was, standing in my kitchen, doing the dishes, feeling like the ground had shifted beneath me. Suddenly, I was in a world without my dad.

The numbness was overwhelming. I went through the motions that night, but it’s all a blur. Grief does that—it fogs your mind, leaving you disoriented and lost. This date, every year, brings a rush of emotions, both old and new. I always think I'll be more prepared, that somehow the passage of time will soften the blow. But grief doesn’t work on a schedule.

Today, I feel a weight on my chest, a heaviness that’s hard to shake. The pain is sharp, and the uncertainty is unsettling. Part of me wants to shove it all aside, to ignore it and carry on. But I’ve learned that ignoring grief doesn’t make it go away. It festers, waiting for another moment to strike. Instead, I’ve found that letting the emotions through, as terrifying as it can be, is the only way to truly release and let healing begin.

My dad was a man of honor, integrity, and passion. His strength and dedication to our family was unwavering. His hard work and involvement in the community left a lasting impact. Even now, I draw strength from his example. When I’m feeling lost or overwhelmed, I think of him and the way he faced life’s challenges head-on. 

Letting these emotions through is like standing in the middle of a storm, vulnerable and exposed. But there’s a strange comfort in it, too. Allowing myself to feel the pain, to cry, to remember, brings a sense of peace I never knew was possible. It’s a process, and I’m still learning, still struggling with it. But each time I allow grief to wash over me, I find a little more healing on the other side.

So today, I’ll let myself feel it all. The hurt, the sadness, the longing. I’ll cry for the moments we lost and the ones we never got to have. But I’ll also honor and celebrate my dad’s beautiful life. I’ll remember the laughter, the lessons, and the love. He taught me about resilience, about facing life with courage and grace.

Dad, you are missed more than words can express. Your absence is a void that can never be filled, but your spirit is always with me. You live on in the values you instilled in me, in the memories we shared, and in the love that still surrounds me. Today, I honor your legacy. I celebrate the incredible man you were and the profound impact you had on my life.

Thank you, Dad, for everything. For your love, your guidance, your unwavering support. As I navigate this difficult day, I hold onto the strength you showed me and the love you gave so freely. You are my hero, now and always. Today, I grieve, but I also celebrate. I celebrate you, your life, and the love that never fades.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sweet Sixteen, Sweet Alivia

To My Sweet Zoe on Your 14th Birthday

Embracing July: A Journey of Motherhood, Loss, and Love